About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service
Today's date is:
 

TOP STORIES

8th February 2018
EVRAA 2018: Leyte Wrestling Team hauls 13 gold, looks forward to Palaro
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on February 8, 2018, 6:24 am

By Felix Asis

Leyte Conquerors lived up to their stellar billing dominating the Wrestling Competitions with 13 gold medals of the 16 gold at stake and two silver medal to in the Eastern Visayas Regional Athletic Association (EVRAA) Meet 2018 at the Rawis Covered Court, Feb. 6.

The win was four gold medals greater than the nine gold they have in last year’s EVRAA to claim the championship in the event. “The team will continue training for the Palaro as we want to surpass the six gold medals we got in Antique last year,” said Jose Edgar Blones, coach of secondary girls.

Coached by Baby Salvacion Cañamaque, the secondary boys bagged 7 gold and 1 silver and the secondary girls capped six gold and 1 silver.

Gold medalists in the boys category were Joenil Lagarde, Crispin Cruzzel Caliguid, Diomel Hugo, Jesus Gabriel Raganit, Jonathan Berdida, Pedro Obias and Anthony Pangan. “We are going to Vigan and hopefully we win gold also,” said Lagarde. In the girls division, the gold medalists were Zenith Gayas, Lovely Ann De la Cruz, Jane Erasmo, Veronica Ompod, Mariel Liwanag and Renalyn Claros. The silver medalists were Joel Belecario and Marilyn Villaruel.#


6th February 2018
Leyte Conquerors in EVRAA 2018
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on February 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Football Secondary Boys Leyte draws with host division, 1-1

By Felix Asis

CALBAYOG CITY--In a football ground that looked like a rice field, match between Leyte Conquerors and Calbayog ended with a draw, 1-1, in the elimination round of Football Secondary Boys at Northwestern Samar State University, Monday morning.

Both teams started out flat as they tried to adapt the muddy football ground wherein they were limited to lesser offensive attacks ending the first half at love all.

Early in the second half, Jo Edison Alcuino of Hilongos National Vocation School delivered a goal silencing the home crowd. Calbayog City, though found hard time to execute its offensive patterns, tied the score with a goal at the closing minutes of the match.

“We got already the lead with Alcuino’s goal but they had manage to score one goal before the end of the match,” said Leyte coach Eusebio Gulay Jr. of Kananga NHS. Leyte will be pitted against Eastern Samar for their last game in their bracket tomorrow afternoon and they need to win to advance to the next round. “We have to win tomorrow for us to qualify for the next round,” added Gulay.

 

Callera, Labtic lead Billiard’s squad in gold medal hunt

By Felix Asis

CALBAYOG CITY--Experienced players Jaymel Callera and Deanna Marie Labtic spearheaded Leyte’s campaign in Billiard’s 8-Balls competition yesterday at the Christ the King College.

The 17-year old Callera, who is a veteran in Billiards tournaments in the region, blanked James Howard Bertumen of Eastern Samar in his first match in the race-to-three elimination round in Bracket A. Callera of Sta. Mesa NHS then outlasted Jade Las Piñas of Maasin City, 3-2 to advance into the quarterfinal round against the winner of the match between Jayvee Cayson of Tacloban City and Caesar Ian Valles of Catbalogan City.

“I want to have the gold medal for the cash incentive,” exclaimed Callera in the interview along with his coach Melvin Calupaz of Cabacungan NHS. In Bracket B, Rommel Damiles bested Francis Copada of Tacloban City after taking a bye in the first round. Damiles, who came from Puerto Bello NHS, will next face Mark Neil Rey Salas of Biliran.

In the distaff side, Palaro veteran Labtic, who came from San Isidro NHS, defeated Jonalyn Surio of Northern Samar to arrange a duel with Angel Yanga of Samar in the quarterfinals. Labtic’s teammate Beatemae Kate Ibarra also advance in the next round with a win over Christine Yero of Southern Leyte.


19th January 2018
NUJP on the closure of Interaksyon
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on January 19, 2018, 8:40 am
January 19, 2018
 
It is with sadness that the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) learns about the impending closure of Interaksyon.com, the TV5’s news website.
 
At least 20 of our colleagues stand to lose their jobs, joining hundreds of other journalists and media workers who were terminated by other media outfits due to “right-sizing,” a euphemism used to rob employees of their right to security of tenure for the sake of companies’ finances.
 
In early 2017, TV5 also axed more than 100 employees allegedly to cut company’s losses. Management, however, did not show any proof to support its claims.
 
Just recently, the CNN Philippines also retrenched more than 90 employees.
 
Journalists and media workers are treated as disposable resources. Those who do not belong to any union — the talents, correspondents, consultants — are the most vulnerable. Many of our colleagues do not receive benefits such as SSS, Pag-Ibig, Philhealth, and 13th month pay.
 
The worrisome labor situation of our colleagues continues to worsen at a time when the current administration is hell-bent in discrediting the Philippine media, at a time when the administration is spreading too many lies. Interaksyon.com would be one credible voice lost in a sea of deception. 
 
We have no choice but to strenghten our ranks and defend the truth and our profession.

18th January 2018
DPWH to build 55 high rise classrooms in S. Leyte
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on January 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

MAASIN CITY – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) field office here and Department of Education (DepEd) will soon start the construction of 55 two-storey school buildings in Southern Leyte province under the Basic Educational Facilities Fund.

Under the DepEd-approved project list, 22 units are included in batch 12 with P457.08 millon budget, and 33 units under batch 13 with P576.57 million allocation. These projects will be financed through the 2017 allocation for education facilities.

DPWH Southern Leyte district engineering chief Ma. Margarita C. Junia said their office rushed to complete pre-construction activities and bid out all projects before the expiration of special allotment release order on December 31, 2017.

Each unit will have an average of eight classrooms. It will have upgraded designs enough to withstand typhoons and earthquakes.

“All these new facilities are disaster-resilient. Its structural components such as footing, columns, and beams will be expanded based on the upgraded standard designs of DPWH and DepEd,” said Junia.

Of the 55 buildings, 13 will rise in Maasin City; six in Bontoc town, four each in Libagon, St. Bernard, Pintuyan, Pintuyan, Silago, and Bontoc; three each in Liloan and Macrohon; two each in San Francisco, Sogod, Anahawan, Hinundayan, San Ricardo, San Juan, Malitbog; and one each in Hinunangan and Limasawa towns.

Aside from the high rise  school buildings, 13 one-story units worth P38.73 million  are also included in batch 12.  Two buildings are meant for each of the towns of Bontoc, Hinunangan, and St. Bernard; and one each in Silago, Libagon, San Francisco, Malitbog, Anahawan, Hinundayan, and Silago towns.

In the last quarter of the year, the district engineering office has already bid out 47 school building projects under batch four and seven, which was initially included in DepEd fund release.

“This is literally a massive school building projects for this year. If completed, including the previous batches, there will be a total of 550 new classrooms for the province,” Junia said.

Overall, the school building projects for Southern Leyte will cost P 1.21 billion covering construction of K-12 classrooms and technical vocational laboratories. (PR)


4th November 2017
TAcloban City honors World War II veterans
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on November 4, 2017, 12:37 pm


In Photo: An unnamed World War II veteran attends the commemorative dinner hosted by
Tacloban City Mayor Cristina Romualdez on October 19.
 

(By Elmer Recuerdo, Business Mirror, 3 Nov 2017)

TACLOBAN CITY --- They are now in the twilight of their life. Their bodies hae been weakened by age and the many battles they fought - in life and war time - but their spirits remain willing.

The soldiers of World War II (WW II) were present during the annual celebration of General Douglas McArthur’s landing in Leyte every October 20.

With each passing year, the number of surviving veterans of WW II is rapidly dwindling. In this year’s 73rd celebration, only 11 of the 19 remaining war veterans from this city were present when the city government hosted them a commemorative dinner on October 19.

The war veterans, aged between 89 and 101 years old, came in their veterans’ uniform on wheelchairs assisted by their close family members.

"At least for one day in a year,we are being remembered," said one veteran through his son.


3rd November 2017
No House ok yet for Yolanda, Ormoc tragedy commemorations as holidays
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on November 3, 2017, 12:00 pm

(By Lalaine M. Jimenea (The Freeman) | )

ORMOC CITY, Philippines - The proposal to declare as holidays the 'Yolanda Commemoration Day' and the 'Ormoc Flash Flood Commemoration Day,' has not yet been approved by Congress, according to Representatives Yedda Romualdez (1st district, Leyte), and Lucy Torres Gomez (4th dist., Leyte).

The two lawmakers have earlier filed bills asking Congress to declare November 5 (as local holiday for Ormoc City) and November 8 (in Eastern Visayas for Yolanda) to commemorate the fateful days when thousands died after natural calamities struck.

Philip Jude Acidre, political and legislative affairs officer of Romualdez, said both bills are still up for 2nd reading in the House. "The Senate counterpart has just been filed, authored by Sen. Edgardo Angara,” he said.

"The bill was just filed last year, and acted upon by the House committee early this year and due for second reading when session resumes," Acidre said. "The Senate version was just filed, but since this is a law of local application, we need to wait for the House to pass it on third reading," he said.

 
Acidre however is confident that both bills would be passed in Congress. "Similar to Lucy’s bill, the Yolanda Commemoration Bill (of Romualdez) is also gaining support in the House," he added.

November 8 was the day when super-typhoon Yolanda struck Eastern Visayas in 2013, killing 6,329 people with 1,074 still missing.

Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:

20th October 2017
19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

(By Miriam Garcia Desacada (The Freeman) |


15th September 2017
DILG installs Yap as new governor of Southern Leyte
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on September 15, 2017, 7:58 pm

By: Jani Arnaiz - Correspondent / @janiarnaizINQ

Inquirer Visayas / 07:27 PM September 15, 2017

MAASIN CITY – Southern Leyte has a new governor.

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) installed on Friday Vice Gov. Christopher “Coco” Yap as the new governor of the province after beleaguered Gov. Damian Mercado personally received the Ombudsman order dismissing him from his post.

In a mobile phone interview, Mercado told the Inquirer that he personally went to the DILG regional office to receive the dismissal order “to end all speculations surrounding the Ombudsman order.”

Mercado said the DILG immediately installed Yap, who accompanied him to the agency’s regional office along with some board members, upon his receipt of the Ombudsman order.

Accordingly, top board member Jessica Escano Pano was installed as vice governor in place of Yap.

“Although we appealed the Ombudsman’s decision with the Appellate Court, we will abide by its decision whether it’s not in our favor,” Mercado said.

Asked if there is someone to blame for the case that moved very slowly for a decade, Mercado said: “I don’t blame anyone.”

Mercado said he will stay in Maasin, as he has to undergo some minor medical procedure for his illness.

The case of Mercado at the Ombudsman stemmed from his alleged anomalous purchase of three second-hand vehicles, which included his previously owned vehicle, amounting to P2.3 million.

In a resolution released on August 10, the Ombudsman held Mercado liable for grave misconduct in the alleged irregular procurement in 2007, when he was still mayor of the city.  /kga


11th August 2017
Business as usual at Capitol amidst Gov. Mercado dismissal
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on August 11, 2017, 6:59 pm

By JANI ARNAIZ

August 11, 2017

MAASIN CITY – It’s business as usual at the Capitol less than 24 hours after a stir on the reported dismissal of Governor Damian Mercado by the Ombudsman.

According to Jason Calva, Southern Leyte provincial administrator, they are on standby. “(We’re) on standby to avoid technicalities. So far no legal documents officially received.” He did not elaborate.

On Thursday at the Charter Day program, Gov. Mercado told the The Reporter online in a text message, I will talk to my lawyer first. No comment,” when asked for his statement.

The Reporter online also tried to get the statement from Interior department but provincial director Jess Naquila was on a meeting with his officials.

An employee said, Naquila told them that media personalities will be coming over and that there’s no order yet of the dismissal.

A netizen has commented on FB, what a pity, the dismissal came at the height of the celebration of the 17th Charter Day against the proponent of cityhood who eventually the fist mayor when Maasin became a city. He was referring to then Mayor Mercado.

The case stemmed from the reported anomalous purchase 10  years ago of three second hand vehicles, including one he had previously owned and more than a decade old, for P2.3 million.

In a resolution announced on Thursday, the Ombudsman held Mercado liable for grave misconduct in the alleged irregular procurement in 2007, when he was mayor of Maasin City, the provincial capital.


3rd July 2017
Alvarez considering possible impeachment of Sereno over CA issue
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on July 3, 2017, 4:40 pm

By: Jani Arnaiz - Correspondent / @janiarnaizINQInquirer Visayas / 04:35 PM July 02,2017

House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez. (File photo from the Philippine Daily Inquirer) 
House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez. (File photo from the Philippine Daily Inquirer)
 
MAASIN CITY -  Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez announced on Sunday the possible filing of an impeachment case against Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno if it could be proven that she had ordered the Court of Appeals (CA) to defy the show-cause order asking three CA justices to explain why they should not be cited for contempt for granting the petition for habeas corpus of the so-called Ilocos Six.
 
Alvarez, who was here to administer the oath-taking of new members of the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), said he had received a report that Sereno had ordered the CA to defy the show-cause order.
 
"If we found it to be true then we will discuss it in Congress for a possible impeachment case,” he said.
 
The House of Representatives has been locked in a standoff with CA Associate Justices Stephen Cruz, Edwin Sorongon, and Nina Antonio-Valenzuela after they ordered the release of the Ilocos Norte officials detained by the House for refusing to answer questions about an alleged anomaly involving the purchase of P66.45 million worth of vehicles, using funds from tobacco excise taxes.
 
The new members of the PDP-Laban in Southern Leyte who took their oath were Gov. Damian Mercado and his brother, Southern Leyte Rep. Roger Mercado, all 19 mayors of the province and their councilors, and all 70 barangay chairpersons of Maasin and their councilors.
 
In his speech, Alvarez announced the postponement of the barangay and SK elections this year.
 
"To all barangay officials who are here will be happy with this news that there will be no elections and that the barangay chairman will just be appointed,” he said.
 
When asked to elaborate, he told the Inquirer that they would legislate the postponement and discuss when it would be held. /atm

LOCAL WEATHER & NEWS
Your Link to the regional weather outlook for Tacloban, Leyte, Philippines
HEADLINE NEWS  >>
NUJP on the closure of Interaksyon, January 19, 2018, 8:40 am

19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance, October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

 
NATION NEWS   >>
NUJP on the closure of Interaksyon, January 19, 2018, 8:40 am

 
MAASIN CITY   >>
TAcloban City honors World War II veterans, November 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance, October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Barangay excluded in granting of PEI, December 15, 2016, 3:38 pm

 
SOUTHERN LEYTE   >>
TAcloban City honors World War II veterans, November 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance, October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

 
TACLOBAN   >>
TAcloban City honors World War II veterans, November 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance, October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

 
ORMOC  >>
TAcloban City honors World War II veterans, November 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance, October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

5 die in Leyte road mishap, December 15, 2016, 4:01 pm

Elected councilor shot dead in Leyte, June 2, 2016, 9:27 pm

 
SAMAR  >>
IF HE BECOMES PRESIDENT, August 2, 2015, 6:19 am

Duterte guests at Liceo testimonial, August 2, 2015, 2:12 am

SHELLFISH BAN LIFTED IN EASTERN SAMAR, October 7, 2013, 10:42 pm

 
LEYTE   >>
Leyte Conquerors in EVRAA 2018, February 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Conquerors smother Southern Leyte, February 6, 2018, 6:52 am

Elected councilor shot dead in Leyte, June 2, 2016, 9:27 pm

 
OPINION  >>
'Never Again' is not just about Marcos, March 26, 2016, 9:24 am

Dear Mayor Duterte, March 26, 2016, 8:39 am

Our unrecognized national scandal, March 26, 2016, 8:24 am

The Court that became Congress, March 23, 2016, 8:07 am

VP has no right to demand right to reply, March 21, 2016, 2:06 am

 
THOUGHTS FROM ABROAD  >>
Where Eagles Dare, August 31, 2014, 7:14 am

 

ADVERTISEMENTS

Your Link to Webionic Designs & Internet Solutions

Your link to Ampil Pensione Online Information
SPONSORS

Your Link to MaasinCity.Com Website
 ON THE INTERNATIONAL FRONT
Immigration >>
MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Migration is good, May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Kuwait Filipinos top OAV globally, April 30, 2012, 6:41 am

Cathay offloads 'unruly' consul, April 24, 2012, 9:04 pm

OFW >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

Scrap terminal fees for OFWs, court asked, October 29, 2014, 6:57 pm

OFWs take risks in Libya, August 5, 2014, 9:35 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

OFW PERKS BENEFITING THE ECONOMY, October 7, 2012, 9:01 am

Life Abroad >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Migration is good, May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Headlines >>
Malaysia alerts Philippines of new kidnapping, November 20, 2016, 4:10 pm

Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

 
 
 
 © Copyright 2014-2015 The Reporter and its licensors.  All rights reserved.
      Web programming and Internet presence by Webionic.Com
About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service