About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service
Today's date is:
 

ORMOC CITY NEWS & INFORMATION

4th November 2017
TAcloban City honors World War II veterans
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on November 4, 2017, 12:37 pm


In Photo: An unnamed World War II veteran attends the commemorative dinner hosted by
Tacloban City Mayor Cristina Romualdez on October 19.
 

(By Elmer Recuerdo, Business Mirror, 3 Nov 2017)

TACLOBAN CITY --- They are now in the twilight of their life. Their bodies hae been weakened by age and the many battles they fought - in life and war time - but their spirits remain willing.

The soldiers of World War II (WW II) were present during the annual celebration of General Douglas McArthur’s landing in Leyte every October 20.

With each passing year, the number of surviving veterans of WW II is rapidly dwindling. In this year’s 73rd celebration, only 11 of the 19 remaining war veterans from this city were present when the city government hosted them a commemorative dinner on October 19.

The war veterans, aged between 89 and 101 years old, came in their veterans’ uniform on wheelchairs assisted by their close family members.

"At least for one day in a year,we are being remembered," said one veteran through his son.


3rd November 2017
No House ok yet for Yolanda, Ormoc tragedy commemorations as holidays
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on November 3, 2017, 12:00 pm

(By Lalaine M. Jimenea (The Freeman) | )

ORMOC CITY, Philippines - The proposal to declare as holidays the 'Yolanda Commemoration Day' and the 'Ormoc Flash Flood Commemoration Day,' has not yet been approved by Congress, according to Representatives Yedda Romualdez (1st district, Leyte), and Lucy Torres Gomez (4th dist., Leyte).

The two lawmakers have earlier filed bills asking Congress to declare November 5 (as local holiday for Ormoc City) and November 8 (in Eastern Visayas for Yolanda) to commemorate the fateful days when thousands died after natural calamities struck.

Philip Jude Acidre, political and legislative affairs officer of Romualdez, said both bills are still up for 2nd reading in the House. "The Senate counterpart has just been filed, authored by Sen. Edgardo Angara,” he said.

"The bill was just filed last year, and acted upon by the House committee early this year and due for second reading when session resumes," Acidre said. "The Senate version was just filed, but since this is a law of local application, we need to wait for the House to pass it on third reading," he said.

 
Acidre however is confident that both bills would be passed in Congress. "Similar to Lucy’s bill, the Yolanda Commemoration Bill (of Romualdez) is also gaining support in the House," he added.

November 8 was the day when super-typhoon Yolanda struck Eastern Visayas in 2013, killing 6,329 people with 1,074 still missing.

Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:

20th October 2017
19 WWII veterans get honors, cash assistance
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on October 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

(By Miriam Garcia Desacada (The Freeman) |


24th June 2017
Army assures public: no direct threat from terror attacks in Visayas
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on June 24, 2017, 9:19 pm

ORMOC CITY, Leyte, June 24 – Brigadier General Francisco F. Mendoza, Jr, army commander of 802ndBrigade based in the city confirmed despite the presence of armed men in the Visayas, there is no direct threat from terror attacks.

Mendoza assured the public that presently the whole of Visayas is still at level 1 for terror alert which means, it is not facing threat for any terror attack. 

“There are armed men, yes.  NPAs (New People’s Armies) are armed. But no threat for terrorism,” he pointed out.

Following the declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao a month ago, various reports reached their office concerning presence of armed men in different areas pictured similar to “terror attackers” in Marawi in which Mendoza refuted saying all of them were hearsays.

“All information reaching our office that may pose imminent danger to peace and security are right away verified.  So far, these are just hearsays”, Mendoza pointed out.

“As we receive the information, we verify it.  But up to now, no first-hand informant has ever drawn details.  All of them could not give light to the information spreading around and cannot pinpoint who really met what they referred to as ‘armed’ men” he added.

On the recent information spreading in social media saying armed men were sighted in Albuera, Mendoza added, it is now being verified.

Aside from watching over insurgency issues, the army is currently working closely with the police particularly the nightly events at the city in celebration to the coming 29th , the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul. 

City police director Senior Supt. Ramil L. Ramirez personally supervises his men to conduct close watch at the city plaza where huge crowd is expected to join the evening merriments. 

Police cars are constantly roaming around even at the outskirts to check any suspicious personalities around and to act immediately some emergency calls.

Ramirez assured the public for maximum security provided especially on the vesper night where bulk of viewers including VIPs is expected to witness the Bb. Ormoc coronation.  The city superdome where the big event will be held was already mapped out for the uniformed police to take post on.

“Remember, you are not viewers, you are here to keep watch for everyone’s safety”, he reminded to the more or less 30 police force to be assigned at the dome.

Mendoza and Ramirez do not discount on possibilities that suspected terrorists may reach the city at any time, reason why they see to it to take immediate action once reports on the matter reach them.  At this point, both claimed no known truth to all information upon verifications.

For this, they encourage the public to keep the military and police posted once suspicious characters are spotted in their area and much better if the person himself who had personal encounter or observation will be the one divulge vital information to the authorities. 

 


15th December 2016
5 die in Leyte road mishap
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on December 15, 2016, 4:01 pm

By Elvie Roman Roa

ORMOC CITY, Leyte, Dec. 14, (PNA) – A collision between two passenger vans owned by father and son from Palompon, Leyte left at least five passengers dead along national highway of A. Tumamak village, Villaba town in Leyte, the town police said.

A police report stated, that the van E.R. Jr., a Toyota Hi Ace owned by Ephraim Requitillo, Jr. bound to Palompon town from Ormoc City failed to control the steering wheel due to slippery road and bumped to Gee Rhaim, of opposite route. 

The vehicle glided and ran crisscross before it finally head going to the lane of the other vehicle.  The head-on collision caused severe damage to both vehicles but the five passengers including the driver of Gee Rhaim, also a Toyota Hi Ace van, sustained only minor injuries.

Three of E.R. Jr.’s seven passengers reportedly died on the spot including the driver Boy Salvador while another casualty was declared dead on arrival at the community hospital. Other injured commuters were rushed to Ormoc City hospital where one was pronounced dead.

Gee Rhaim driver Themestocles Hortelano who had minor injuries said he stopped upon noticing that E.R. Jr. was unstable while approaching. 

“I stopped when I saw the van moving unstable after it glided while stirring down near our direction”, the driver said.

The vehicle bound to Palompon was severely damaged that caused deaths and major injuries to its passengers while Gee Rhaim’s right front was also heavily damaged..

The Requitillo family immediately showed up and provided the needs of the victims.

 

 
 

26th November 2016
Bato: Ex-CIDG chief has long been involved in illegal drugs
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on November 26, 2016, 3:42 pm

(By Perfecto T. Raymundo Jr. (philstar.com) | Updated 26 November 2016 - 3:42 PM)

  
Marvin Marcos, former chief of the regional Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in eastern Visayas, led the team that killed Albuera Mayor Rolando Espinosa Sr. in a sub-provincial jail cell. Philstar.com/File photo

MANILA, Philippines (Philippines News Agency) - Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa on Saturday confirmed that Superintendent Marvin Marcos, who led the raid in the Baybay City, Leyte jail that resulted in the death of Albuera, Mayor Rolando Espinosa last November 5, has long been involved in illegal drugs.

Kerwin Espinosa, the alleged big-time drug lord of eastern Visayas, during the Senate hearing last Wednesday, named Marcos as among the police officials who have received drug money from him in exchange for protection.

Dela Rosa said Marcos is now in the “restricted custody” of the PNP in Camp Crame, Quezon City while undergoing investigation.

He added that based on intelligence reports he received even before Kerwin testified in the Senate, Marcos has long been “tainted” with illegal drugs

Marcos, former chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in eastern Visayas, has denied receiving drug money.


2nd June 2016
Elected councilor shot dead in Leyte
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on June 2, 2016, 9:27 pm

(By Felix N. Codilla III, 2 June 2016)

Ormoc City, Leyte -- A newly elected councilor of a sleepy town here was shot dead a month before he could occupy his post.

Killed on the spot last Tuesday morning, May 31 was Vicente M. Jabon, 66 of Lower Bintoan, Zone 5, Brgy. Doña Maria, in Albuera, a town adjacent to this city.

Jabon was shot by two men riding in tandem on board a motorcycle.

Based on a police spot report, Jabon, who was also the barangay chairman Doña Maria, was sitting outside a sari-sari store across the barangay hall located at the village proper, a kilometer away from his house.  He was with three barangay tanods at that time. A motorcycle carrying two men came around at about 8:30 in the morning.

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

23rd March 2016
'Who are we to say no to him,' Gov. Mercado on Duterte run
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on March 23, 2016, 7:50 pm

By JANI ARNAIZ
March 22, 2016

MAASIN CITY -- Southern Leyte Governor Roger Mercado, a member of the Liberal Party (LP), stopped short of endorsing the presidential bid of his "fellow Maasinhon" Rodrigo Duterte, who came home to his hometown for a campaign sortie on March 22.

"Please I have an announcement to all and sundry, we cannot disassociate ourselves in terms of culture, blood, and relationship. Here is a person who claims and is very proud to claim that he was born in Maasin, Southern Leyte. Who are we to say no to him?" said Mercado as he settled across Mayor Duterte, who arrived several minutes ahead of the governor. The mayor was set to leave when Mercado arrived.

Mercado ended with "Mayor, we are proud of you as a Southern Leyteño. We will pray hard that you will become the president of this country."

When a reporter asked Mercado if it was an endorsement, Mayor Duterte stopped him saying, “I respect their position. I have been in politics for several years. I visited the LP governor to pay respects, no impositions."

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

21st March 2016
SSS collects P12.51-B in Visayas, records 14 percent increase
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on March 21, 2016, 5:09 am

(By SSS Media Affairs Dept.; 21 Mar 2016, 0509 hours)

ORMOC, Leyte --- The Social Security System (SSS) collected P12.51 billion in contributions from employers and members in the Visayas last year, which was higher by 14 percent from the P10.99 billion total for the same area in 2014.

SSS Senior Vice President for Visayas Operations Group Helen C. Solito said the steep jump in remittances from branch account employers, which refer to those with less than a hundred employees, helped propel collections in Visayas to a double-digit growth last year.

“Branch account collections surged by 26 percent to P4.53 billion last year, which is a good implication that our current initiatives in implementing stricter SSS policies and promoting employer compliance have been effective in our Visayas operations,” Solito said.

Collections from large account employers, which are companies with 100 workers or more, grew by seven percent from P5.70 billion in 2014 to P6.08 billion last year, and accounted for nearly half of the total contributions paid in Visayas in 2015.

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

15th January 2016
Ormoc welcomes 50 police trainees
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on January 15, 2016, 6:08 am

ORMOC CITY, Leyte, Jan. 13, 2015 – The Ormoc City Police Office (OCPO) accepted 50 police trainees coming from its regional office to undergo Field Training Program (FTP) in the city for five months. They were presented to Mayor Edward C. Codilla Tuesday.

 The new police recruits will be assigned in police station 1 to undergo practical exercises in various fields of actual police works, according to Sr. Supt. Ferdinand M. Garay, City Director.

 All of them are set to undergo trainings on basic police patrol, traffic and criminal investigations including observation in real court proceedings under the professionalized program of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

SPO2 Maria Rachel I. Salas, police non-commissioned officer said two Field Training Officers (FTO), one from Leyte Provincial Police Office (LPPO) and one from Southern Leyte were augmented to OCPO’s six FTO to handle these FTPs. 

These new members of the country’s friendly force are part of the 283 personnel who took oath on July 1, 2015, the first cycle of last year’s recruits. 

50 of them were assigned in Tacloban City and 83 in Palo town in Leyte. 

Mayor Codilla welcomed them at his office as they paid him courtesy visit. 

These are part of the 283 new police recruits admitted during the first cycle in 2015.


LOCAL WEATHER & NEWS
Your Link to the regional weather outlook for Tacloban, Leyte, Philippines
HEADLINE NEWS  >>
 
NATION NEWS   >>
 
MAASIN CITY   >>
 
SOUTHERN LEYTE   >>
 
TACLOBAN   >>
 
ORMOC  >>
 
SAMAR  >>
 
LEYTE   >>
 
OPINION  >>
 
THOUGHTS FROM ABROAD  >>
 

ADVERTISEMENTS

Your Link to Webionic Designs & Internet Solutions

Your link to Ampil Pensione Online Information
SPONSORS

Your Link to MaasinCity.Com Website
 ON THE INTERNATIONAL FRONT
Immigration >>
MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Migration is good, May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Kuwait Filipinos top OAV globally, April 30, 2012, 6:41 am

Cathay offloads 'unruly' consul, April 24, 2012, 9:04 pm

OFW >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

Scrap terminal fees for OFWs, court asked, October 29, 2014, 6:57 pm

OFWs take risks in Libya, August 5, 2014, 9:35 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

OFW PERKS BENEFITING THE ECONOMY, October 7, 2012, 9:01 am

Life Abroad >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Migration is good, May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Headlines >>
Malaysia alerts Philippines of new kidnapping, November 20, 2016, 4:10 pm

Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

 
 
 
 © Copyright 2014-2015 The Reporter and its licensors.  All rights reserved.
      Web programming and Internet presence by Webionic.Com
About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service