About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service
Today's date is:
 

IMMIGRATION NEWS & INFORMATION

28th September 2013
MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

(By Associated Press / INQUIRER.net, 10:25 pm | Saturday, 28 Sep 2013)

BALI, Indonesia --- Miss Philippines, Megan Young, was crowned Miss World in a glittering finale on the Indonesian resort island of Bali on Saturday.

"I promise to be the best Miss World ever," Young, 23, said after winning the 63rd annual event, as a large number of Filipino fans who traveled with her celebrated by jumping and waving the country's flag.

"Salamat sa mga kababayan ko.  Mahal na mahal ko kayo (Thanks to my compatriots. I love you very much),” said the teary-eyed actress after she was crowned on Hindu-majority Bali at the end of a three-week contest.

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

26th December 2012
Thousands sign US petition to deport Piers Morgan
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on December 26, 2012, 8:56 am

(By Assocaited Press, 26 Dec 2012)

Piers Morgan

Photo: APPiers Morgan, host of CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," leaves the CNN building in Los Angeles. More than 31,400 people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun-control views. Morgan has taken an aggressive stand for tighter U.S. gun laws in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.

Last week, he called a gun advocate appearing on his "Piers Morgan Tonight" show an "unbelievably stupid man." Now, gun-rights activists are fighting back. A petition created Dec. 21 on the White House e-petition website by a user in Texas accuses Morgan of engaging in a "hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution" by targeting the Second Amendment and demands he be deported immediately.


LONDON (AP) --- Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun control views.

Morgan has taken an aggressive stand for tighter U.S. gun laws in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting. Last week, he called a gun advocate appearing on his "Piers Morgan Tonight" show an "unbelievably stupid man."

Now, gun rights activists are fighting back. A petition created Dec. 21 on the White House e-petition website by a user in Texas accuses Morgan of engaging in a "hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution" by targeting the Second Amendment. It demands he be deported immediately for "exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens."

The petition has already hit the 25,000 signature threshold to get a White House response. By Monday, it had 31,813 signatures. Morgan seemed unfazed — and even amused — by the movement. In a series of Twitter messages, he alternately urged his followers to sign the petition and in response to one article about the petition said "bring it on" as he appeared to track the petition's progress.

"If I do get deported from America for wanting fewer gun murders, are there any other countries that will have me?" he wrote.


21st August 2012
7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

(By Ronald O. Reyes, Source: www.manilachannel.com, 21 Aug 2012)

At least 7,000 undocumented overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia continue seeking repatriation today, according to the report from migrant’s right group based in Middle East.

The group also said OFWs need over 1.3-M Saudi rials (roughly equivalent to P14.5-M) for unpaid lease rental of their temporary shelter.

The Philippine consulate started renting the shelter in Al-Mina hajj terminal sometime October 2010 when it started the mass repatriation of undocumented OFWs who have camped out under the Khandera bridge in Jeddah, according to Migrante-Middle East spokesperson John Leonard Monterona.

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

22nd July 2012
CASES OF MYSTERIOUS DEATHS OF OFWS MOUNT
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on July 22, 2012, 7:54 am

(Anne Marxze D. Umil, Bulalat.com, 22 July 2012)

MANILA  --- Another victim of a mysterious death while overseas, 22 year old Romelyn Eroy Ibanez’s body arrived home, with her left eye, tongue, brain, heart and internal organs missing, from Saudi Arabia on August 24, 2011 - almost a year after she died on September 2, 2010.
 
Romelyn was from North Cotabato. She was hired by the Solid Works Manpower Agency in Cotabato, it was stated in her contract that she would work as nursing aid for Wafa Al Harkaan and Dr. Sulta Al Otaibi Medical Polyclinic Co.. However she ended up as a domestic helper to an employer named Musfer Yahya Musfer Al-Abbas.
 
According to the death certificate, the cause of Romelyn’s death was suicide. An autopsy report issued by the Ministry of Health in Saudi Arabia claimed that the cause of her death was “poisoning resulting from drinking Clorox acid resulting to complications.”

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

14th July 2012
DFA: 17 more OFWs due home from Syria this weekend
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on July 14, 2012, 9:46 pm

(By GMA News, 14 July 2012)

At least 17 more overseas Filipino workers are due to arrive home in two batches this weekend, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Saturday.

In a news release, the DFA said two of the repatriated OFWs are to arrive Saturday on an Etihad Airlines flight (EY 424).

The other 15 are to arrive at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 aboard an Emirates flight (EK-334) at 10:10 p.m.

Of the 15 repatriates to arrive Sunday, 10 are from the Syrian capital Damascus, while the rest are from the coastal cities of Tartous and Latakia and the conflict-stricken city of Homs, it said.

Last July 12, the DFA said seven other OFWs from Aleppo arrived home, their repatriation facilitated by the Embassy and the Philippine Honorary Consul.

As of July 12, at least 1,775 Filipinos have been repatriated since the Philippine government started carrying out its mandatory repatriation plan for Syria in December 2011.

Meanwhile, the DFA urged anew the families of Filipinos in Syria to provide its Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers' Affairs (OUMWA) with information regarding their next-of-kin's location and contact details.

They can call the OUMWA at (02) 834-4996 or (02) 834-3333.


1st May 2012
Migration is good
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

(By Tont La Vina, Manila Standard Today, 1 May 2012)

I write this column Sunday evening of 29 April 2012 in the Fressciarossa, the fast train that connects major Italian cities. I had just come from a graduation ceremony in Turin of the Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship (LSE) Program for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), a training program of the Ateneo School of Government (ASoG), the Ateneo Center for Social Entrepreneurship (ACSent), Associazione Pilipinas OFSPES (Overseas Filipinos Society for the Promotion of Economic Security), and Social Enterprise Development Partnerships, Inc. (SEDPI). It is supported by the Philippine Embassy to Italy, our Milan Consulate, and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) and the Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration (OWWA) officers in Italy.

READ MORE OF THIS NEWS...

30th April 2012
Kuwait Filipinos top OAV globally
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on April 30, 2012, 6:41 am

(By Michele Fe Santiago, Special to the Arab Times, 30 April 2012)

Target exceeded: Philippine Embassy

KUWAIT CITY, April 30: The Philippine Embassy in Kuwait ranks first in the total number of Overseas Absentee Voters (OAV) registrants among the 94 Philippine posts across the globe, Dalidig Ibrahim Tanandato, the OAV Administering Officer at the Philippine Embassy, disclosed Monday.

"We are pleased to announce that a total of 4,117 Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Kuwait had registered for the OAV from the period of November 2, 2011 to April 24, 2012. This figure far exceeds the Embassy’s target of 3,453 for the six-month period. We are very happy that we have topped all other posts. This is a good indication that Filipinos in Kuwait are keen on exercising their right of suffrage," outlined Tanandato.

He said included among the top 10 from November 2, 2011 to April 17, 2012 are the following Philippine posts: Los Angeles with 3,227 followed by Singapore 2, 849; Madrid 2,262; Rome 1,970; Hong Kong 1,923; London 1,819; Riyadh 1,744; Tel-Aviv 1,610 and Toronto 1,407.

There are over 180,000 OFWs in Kuwait and about 60 per cent of these are working as Household Service Workers (HSWs), and not all employers allow their HSWs to go to the embassy and register for the OAV.

"We hope to further increase the number of OAV registrants in Kuwait, hence, we are encouraging all Filipino organizations in Kuwait or those companies with a big number of Filipino workers to register during weekdays from Sunday to Thursday, from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm,” urged Tanandato. He added that those who cannot register on weekdays due to their hectic work schedule may write to the embassy, stating the number of would-be registrants, date and time that they would want to go to the embassy. “They just have to coordinate with us so we can accommodate them. They must also bring with them a copy of their passport,” he explained.

Tanandato stated that OFWs in Kuwait can register until October 31, 2012. The local and national elections in the Philippines will be held in May 2013. Filipinos abroad who have registered as Overseas Absentee Voters will be able to cast their votes and have their voices heard during the elections.

"Pursuant to Republic Act No. 9189, otherwise known as “The Overseas Absentee Voting Act of 2003,” all citizens of the Philippines abroad, not otherwise disqualified by law, at least eighteen (18) years of age on the day of the election, and who are registered overseas absentee voters with approved application to vote in absentia, may vote for Senators and Party-List Representatives,” cited Tanandato.

He added that for this purpose, all qualified Filipinos citizens not registered as voters under Republic Act No. 8189, otherwise known as “The Voters Registration Act of 1996,” (the system of continuing registration) shall file an application for registration while those who are already registered under the said Act shall file an application for certification.


24th April 2012
Cathay offloads 'unruly' consul
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on April 24, 2012, 9:04 pm

(By Rudy Santos, Philstar.com, 24 Apr 2012)

A Hong Kong-bound Cathay Pacific flight turned back shortly after takeoff yesterday from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) and was delayed by half an hour to offload what airline crew said was an “unruly” honorary Filipino consul.

 Businessman Francis Chua was offloaded because he refused to fasten his seatbelt, Cathay Pacific said.

The airline said Chua, an honorary consul of Peru, introduced himself as a special Philippine envoy to China for trade and investment. Such appointments, given by the Arroyo administration, were scrapped by President Aquino when he assumed power.

Cathay Pacific cabin crew said Chua, also known as Ang Biao, was asked to fasten his seatbelt as the aircraft taxied for takeoff at noon.

When he refused, the crew alerted the pilot, Captain Brian Hall, and flight officer Warren Hayman, who decided to turn the plane around.

As the Boeing 747 returned to the airport terminal, Chua left his seat and reportedly climbed up the spiral staircase to the upper deck and tried to enter the cockpit, in an apparent attempt to talk to the pilot.

A struggle reportedly ensued as the cabin crew restrained Chua from entering the cockpit.

Upon being offloaded, Chua was brought to the Police Center for Aviation Security where he was investigated.

Superintendent Manuel Pintado, senior chief of the police center, said under Republic Act 9497, which created the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), Chua could be held liable for a terrorism-related offense.

Chua was to be brought to the CAAP office, but until late yesterday afternoon, no formal complaint against him had been filed. Sources said several individuals were interceding on his behalf.

Flight CX-900 finally left for Hong Kong at 2:30 p.m.

Cathay Pacific filed a report, declaring: “Chua was an unruly passenger, who would not obey any command from the cabin crew. Verbal warning was given but to no avail. Return to (parking) bay to offload passenger. Passenger was repeatedly asked to fasten seatbelt but he refused and then during the taxi back to bay, he climbed the stairs to the upper deck to gain entry to the cockpit. He was prevented from doing so by cabin crew.”

Born in Jinjiang, Fujian, China, Chua is an honorary president of the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry Inc. and president emeritus of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines Foundation.

He is president of Philippine Satellite Corp. and vice chairman of Mabuhay Satellite Corp.


5th March 2012
Still no word on PH Consulate shutdown; DFA assures needs of Filipinos in CNMI
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on March 5, 2012, 6:10 am

(By Clarissa David, Saipan  Tribune, 5 March 2012)

The Department of Foreign Affairs in the Philippines has yet to make any official announcement about the possible shutdown of the Philippine Consulate General on Saipan for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands but vowed to put into consideration the needs of the Filipino workers who are currently here.

Consul General Medardo Macaraig said yesterday that DFA has not informed him of any final decision they have made.

"But I was assured that whatever decision that will be made on this matter, the needs of the Filipino community will be considered," Macaraig told Saipan Tribune.

The Philippine Consulate General on Saipan is reportedly among the foreign posts that DFA plans to close down by the end of 2012.

At least 10 embassies and consulates will be affected by the agency's efforts to "rationalize" its limited resources. These other posts have been identified as the consulates general in Barcelona, Frankfurt, and Saipan and the embassies in Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Palau, and Sweden.

Although there's no saying if and when the closure will be finalized, Macaraig expressed hope that he will hear from DFA before his regular meeting with Filipino community leaders next week.

"Hopefully, there will be a decision before I meet with the Filipino community. Once the decision is finalized, I will announce it during the meeting," he added.

Macaraig noted that while there are officials within DFA who support shutting down these consulates and embassies, there are also those who do not believe that closing down is the best option for Filipino communities in affected jurisdictions.

It has been reported that the Filipino community in Palau has already begun circulating a petition to keep the diplomatic post there open. Other Filipino workers have resorted to social media such as Facebook to oppose the closure of these offices.

Bong Malasarte, president of the United Filipino Organization, the umbrella organization of some 30 Filipino groups in the CNMI, said Thursday that they would want the continued services of the Philippine consulate on Saipan.

According to Malasarte, having a consulate on island is advantageous to Filipino workers who will directly benefit from their services.

"If they're here, they can directly help Filipino workers who are in need of assistance. The consulate is beneficial for all of us," he said.

Should the consulates on both Saipan and Palau close down, Filipino workers can avail of consular services at the nearest consulate in Agana, Guam.


31st December 2011
DFA chief flying to Syria to lead repatriation efforts
Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on December 31, 2011, 9:15 am

(By abs-cbnNEWS.com, 31 Dec 2011)

MANILA, Philippines - Amid escalating violence in Syria, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario will fly to the Middle Eastern country's capital on Saturday night to facilitate the repatriation of Filipinos there.

Del Rosario, who will be accompanied by Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Esteban Conejos Jr., will take a Qatar Airways flight to Damascus to implement the government's mandatory repatriation order, a week after the crisis alert in the strife-torn country was raised to the highest level.

Del Rosario said he will seek the cooperation of Syrian officials in ensuring the safety of Filipinos, as well as meet with Filipino community leaders for wider dissemination of information about the repatriation efforts.

"We will ensure that all systems are in place in the Embassy to implement crisis alert level 4," he said. "We are fully committed to ensuring the safety and welfare of our beloved Filipinos in Syria. Therefore, it is our objective to undertake the repatriation of our kababayans there as quickly as possible."

The DFA raised the crisis alert level in Syria from 3 to 4 last Dec. 22.

Some 56 Filipinos are set to arrive in Manila from Syria on Saturday afternoon via Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways. This will bring the total number of those repatriated since the start of the political crisis in Syria to 490.


LOCAL WEATHER & NEWS
Your Link to the regional weather outlook for Tacloban, Leyte, Philippines
HEADLINE NEWS  >>
 
NATION NEWS   >>
 
MAASIN CITY   >>
 
SOUTHERN LEYTE   >>
 
TACLOBAN   >>
 
ORMOC  >>
 
SAMAR  >>
 
LEYTE   >>
 
OPINION  >>
 
THOUGHTS FROM ABROAD  >>
 

ADVERTISEMENTS

Your Link to Webionic Designs & Internet Solutions

Your link to Ampil Pensione Online Information
SPONSORS

Your Link to MaasinCity.Com Website
 ON THE INTERNATIONAL FRONT
Immigration >>
MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Migration is good, May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Kuwait Filipinos top OAV globally, April 30, 2012, 6:41 am

Cathay offloads 'unruly' consul, April 24, 2012, 9:04 pm

OFW >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

Scrap terminal fees for OFWs, court asked, October 29, 2014, 6:57 pm

OFWs take risks in Libya, August 5, 2014, 9:35 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

OFW PERKS BENEFITING THE ECONOMY, October 7, 2012, 9:01 am

Life Abroad >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Migration is good, May 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Headlines >>
Malaysia alerts Philippines of new kidnapping, November 20, 2016, 4:10 pm

Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

 
 
 
 © Copyright 2014-2015 The Reporter and its licensors.  All rights reserved.
      Web programming and Internet presence by Webionic.Com
About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service