MAASIN CITY – Weesam Express top official has confirmed on Tuesday (August 1) that one of their fast craft will have its maiden voyage on August 10, in time of the city’s Charter Day celebration.
Daisy Sypiecco, Weesam Marketing manager, told the The Reporter online in mobile phone interview that “it’s a go. We will have our maiden voyage on August 10.”
She added, “in fact we are on our way to Maasin city with our vice president and 10 board members of the company to finalize our entry.”
Sypiecco said the fare would be affordable in our three class accommodation with the economy at P500, for tourist class P600 and business class P700.
According to Pascal Canning, an official of Tourism Association of Southern Leyte, their group (TASL) the Tourism office made the initiative to make Weesam’s entry into the city.
During a press conference last week with Sypiecco, TASL and some members of Southern Leyte chamber of commerce, Philippine Ports Authority manager Rody Morano expressed his excitement saying “We are very excited ma’am our ports are very much ready and besides we are long deprived of a comfortable ride to Cebu please make it happen.”
MAASIN CITY – Businessmen in the city were upbeat over the possibility of a fast craft plying the Maasin-Cebu-Maasin route daily after a visit of Weesam Express executive.
In a press conference on Wednesday held at Kinamot restaurant, Daisy Syppieco, Weesam marketing manager assured the members of Tourism Association of Southern Leyte (TASL) and the members Southern Leyte Chamber of Southern Leyte headed by baker Effipania Sy, that her boss is just waiting for my return to Cebu.
According to TASL official, Pascal Caning, the TASL initiated the talks with Weesam with Capitol tourism head Nedgar Garvez.
“After ocular inspection of the port facilities here and their new port in Guadalupe and of course around the city, I called my boss of the great possibility of favorable entry of our company,” Sypiecco told the businessmen.
She added that “with your overwhelming support I could say that we may have our maiden voyage by first or second week of August,” to the applause of her audience.
“We are very excited ma’am,” said Rody Morano, Philippine Ports Authority manager in the city. “Our ports are very much ready and besides we are long deprived of a comfortable ride to Cebu please make it happen.
He added that our port is being monopolized by one shipping company and it leaves Maasin midnight and very early dawn.
Morano also said there is no worry about south monsoon (habagat) because we have a very safe port in Guadalupe village which is new. Sypiecco confirmed having visited the port.
For his part, Pascal Canning, owner of posh Caimito hotel, pitched that Maasin is very much improved, the people are wealthy compared to nine or so years ago.
The Weesam marketing manager who claim she has a voice in her company’s decision making said, “I don’t want to make sip-sip with you guys but I also have a say in our company’s decision so I might as well make it happen.
She said the fare may come around P500-600 in their business class and lower on their economy class.
The possible entry of Weesam Express was made by the Tourism office, headed by Nedgar Garvez during a travel mart held in Cebu city last year.
Maasin had its last taste of a fast craft vessel long before Maasin became a city. The city will have its 10the anniversary on August 10.
MAASIN CITY – A suspected illegal drug pusher who is in the watch list of Maasin City police station was killed during a buy-bust operation on Friday midnight.
Police authorities identified the fatality as 32-year old Jerry “Jerjer” Zamora of Combado village this city.
Maasin city police personnel led by Police Inspector Clea Marie Lapastora conducted the buy-bust operation at the suspect’s rented house in the said village just less than 200 meters from the police station. The rented house was also used as drug den, authorities said.
According to the police, Zamora has sensed that the poseur-buyer P03 Roderick Ingeniero was a policeman he immediately drew his 38 caliber pistol but Ingeniero beat him to the draw hitting the suspect that caused his instantaneous death.
Recovered from the crime scene were .38 caliber with five live ammunition, 3 fired cases of 9mm, two pcs. medium size heat sealed sachet believed to be shabu, two units myphone and P680 in cash.
Zamora was the first known pusher in the city to be killed in the continuing campaign against illegal drugs.
6th July 2016
Butchoy intensifies; to boost habagat in south Luzon, Visayas Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on July 6, 2016, 6:39 am
(By Frances Mangosing, Jaymee T. Gamil; Philippine Daily Inquirer, 6 July 2016, 06:39 AM)
The satellite photo from Pagasa shows Typhoon ‘Butchoy’ swirling at the right of Luzon. Habagat clouds can be seen clustered over parts of the Visayas and much of Mindanao. PAGASA PHOTO
Typhoon Butchoy (international name: Nepartak) gained strength early Wednesday as it continued its northwest track.
The typhoon packed maximum sustained winds of 185 kilometers per hour near the center and gusts of up to 220 kph, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said at 5 a.m.
Butchoy was last tracked 1,010 kilometers east of Aparri, Cagayan and maintained its speed of 30 kph northwest.
Pagasa noted that while “Butchoy” has intensified, it maintains its speed and direction.
REGRETTABLY, the conversation between President-elect Rodrigo Duterte and the news media has turned sharp and shrill. All but lost in the noise is the two parties’ common duty in law and tradition to serve and to inform the Filipino people on issues, events and policies that affect their interest and welfare.
A president—all at once the chief executive, fount of foreign policy, manager of the national household, guardian of peace and order, commander of the uniformed services, and arbiter of policy conflicts—is the most important pivot of news and policy in the land. The President is mandated by law to lead the nation and to promote transparency, accountability, and good governance.
But the Constitution also upholds the citizens' rights to free speech, free press, free expression, and peaceable assembly. It guarantees as well their right to due process, equality before the law, access to information, justice, and life.
Arroyo asks SC to dismiss plunder case and set her free Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on June 25, 2016, 8:29 pm
(By Jeffrey A. Damicog & Rey G. Panaligan, 25 June 2016)
Former President and re-elected Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has asked the Supreme Court (SC) to resolve her petitions on her P366-million plunder case involving funds of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) pending with the Sandiganbayan.
Arroyo elevated to the SC three issues -- the denial to post bail, determination of probable cause, and demurer to evidence.
A check with the SC showed that these issues may be tackled in next week’s full court session.
In a motion filed last Thursday, Arroyo pleaded the SC to resolve immediately her petition to dismiss her plunder case through a demurer to evidence after the Office of the Ombudsman has started investigation on a new complaint for plunder and malversation of public funds also in connection with the PCSO funds from 2004 to 2007.
A forum on the West Philippine Sea disputes will be among the highlights of this year’s 20th Annual Press Forum and Membership Meeting of the Philippine Press Institute, the country’s foremost association of newspapers.
Publishers and editors of PPI member-newspapers nationwide will convene in Manila for their two-day yearly gathering beginning on Wednesday, June 23, at the Century Park Hotel.
The forum, with the theme “Understanding the Disputes in the West Philippine Sea,” also marks PPI’s celebration of its 52nd anniversary.
PARTIDO Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) chair emeritus and former senate president Aquilino "Nene" Pimentel said on Friday the remains of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos should stay in his northern hometown of Batac amid the raging debate over suggestions to transfer him to the Libingan ng Mga Bayani.
"I have been suggesting for a long time that Marcos should be buried in a place where he is honored by the people. And that’s in his hometown (Batac)," Pimentel told reporters when sought for comment on incoming President Rodrigo Duterte’s plan to transfer Marcos at the Libingan, which has been the dictator’s family’s request over the past two decades.
He noted that at least in Ilocos Norte, Marcos would be able to “get all the honors that he wants.”
Stakeholders craft management plan for two So. Leyte caves Posted by Yel Cobile, IT Admin & Correspondent on June 16, 2016, 9:11 pm
(By Marcelino M. Pedalino, 16 June 2016)
MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte, June 16 (PIA) -- For two consecutive weeks, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) regional and provincial offices took the lead in gathering various sectors to draft plans designed to manage two caves in the province.
The management function focuses on sustainability, to see to it that the caves remain protected and preserved, ensure visitors’ safety, even as uses for tourism purposes and other development projects are considered.
This week, a three-day workshop is underway , June 15-17, to do just that for the Guinsohotan cave located in barangay Cagnituan, this city, while next week, June 22-24, a similar activity is scheduled for the Cambaro cave in barangay Cambaro, Macrohon.