3rd July 2017
Alvarez considering possible impeachment of Sereno over CA issue
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on July 3, 2017, 4:40 pm
24th June 2017
Army assures public: no direct threat from terror attacks in Visayas
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on June 24, 2017, 9:19 pm
ORMOC CITY, Leyte, June 24 – Brigadier General Francisco F. Mendoza, Jr, army commander of 802ndBrigade based in the city confirmed despite the presence of armed men in the Visayas, there is no direct threat from terror attacks.
Mendoza assured the public that presently the whole of Visayas is still at level 1 for terror alert which means, it is not facing threat for any terror attack.
“There are armed men, yes. NPAs (New People’s Armies) are armed. But no threat for terrorism,” he pointed out.
Following the declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao a month ago, various reports reached their office concerning presence of armed men in different areas pictured similar to “terror attackers” in Marawi in which Mendoza refuted saying all of them were hearsays.
“All information reaching our office that may pose imminent danger to peace and security are right away verified. So far, these are just hearsays”, Mendoza pointed out.
“As we receive the information, we verify it. But up to now, no first-hand informant has ever drawn details. All of them could not give light to the information spreading around and cannot pinpoint who really met what they referred to as ‘armed’ men” he added.
On the recent information spreading in social media saying armed men were sighted in Albuera, Mendoza added, it is now being verified.
Aside from watching over insurgency issues, the army is currently working closely with the police particularly the nightly events at the city in celebration to the coming 29th , the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul.
City police director Senior Supt. Ramil L. Ramirez personally supervises his men to conduct close watch at the city plaza where huge crowd is expected to join the evening merriments.
Police cars are constantly roaming around even at the outskirts to check any suspicious personalities around and to act immediately some emergency calls.
Ramirez assured the public for maximum security provided especially on the vesper night where bulk of viewers including VIPs is expected to witness the Bb. Ormoc coronation. The city superdome where the big event will be held was already mapped out for the uniformed police to take post on.
“Remember, you are not viewers, you are here to keep watch for everyone’s safety”, he reminded to the more or less 30 police force to be assigned at the dome.
Mendoza and Ramirez do not discount on possibilities that suspected terrorists may reach the city at any time, reason why they see to it to take immediate action once reports on the matter reach them. At this point, both claimed no known truth to all information upon verifications.
For this, they encourage the public to keep the military and police posted once suspicious characters are spotted in their area and much better if the person himself who had personal encounter or observation will be the one divulge vital information to the authorities.
8th June 2017
One killed, two wounded in buy-bust ops
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on June 8, 2017, 5:32 pm
By JANI ARNAIZ
MAASIN CITY - An illegal drug buy-bust operation has resulted to the killing of the drug suspect and wounding of a father and his three months old daughter on Tuesday night in Combado village this city.
RDEU8(Regional Drug Enforcement Unit 8), PDEA RO8 and local police station conducted the buy-bust operation.
The police identified the suspect, as 42 years Jason Go, jobless of Tagnipa village, Maasin City. While the wounded were identified as Marcelo Sarocan Serata, 34, and his 3-mos. old daughter Grace Jane.
Police said Go was considered as HVT level 2. His parents are in the US as migrants and he is a nephew of a Maasin City councilor.
PSupt. Harry Sucayre, RDEU head, said the suspect was under surveillance for months before they conducted buy bust operation.
In her report, Maasin PNP deputy chief, Police inspector Clea Marie Lapastora, said, a poseur-buyer bought a sachet of “shabu” from the suspect but when he sensed the presence of police officers, Go reportedly drove his Yamaha motorcycle prompting other members of the team to give chase using their service vehicle Toyota Revo.
While in motion, the PNP deputy chief reported that the police officers asked the suspect to stop but he speeded away instead that “he accidentally bumped and stumbled.”
The report stated that Go managed to run and while chased, the suspect drew his gun and fired at the apprehending team that prompting them to fire back killing the suspect.
The wounded, who were standing along the side of the street, were hit by a parked multi-cab when the cab was bumped by the Police service vehicle as the driver evaded the line of fire.
Recovered from the scene were two slugs, cal. 45 pistol, cartridges of a 45 and 9mm pistols.
Yamaha FZ model, 6 heat sealed sachet of “shabu” and P2,000 in five hundred peso bills including the marked money.
12th April 2017
Thousands of OFWs failed to register for PRRD visit to Qatar
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on April 12, 2017, 5:20 pm
By Joel Idjao
April 12, 2017
QATAR - Huge turn-out of registrants of Qatar based OFWs to be able to attend to President Rodrigo Duterte’s meeting with Filipino community crashed the website of the United Filipino Organization in Qatar (UFOQ) in just few hours after the Philippine Embassy announced its invitation.
On April 9, the Philippine Embassy, through Ambassador Alan Timbayan, sent out invitation for President Duterte’s official visit to oil-rich Emirate on April 14-16, but those who are interested should have to register first.
The President’s meeting with Filipino Community will be held at the Lusail Multipurpose hall, Lusail Sport’s Arena on April 15 between 6:00 pm to 8:00 p.m.
In a statement, Ambassador Timbayaan said, “For security purposes and physical layout limitations, the venue will be able to accommodate 6,000 persons. Filipinos who would like to attend the gathering would be required to register their attendance a few days before the event.”
However, in just a few hours after the announcement, the UFOQ website crashed because thousands of Qatar OFWs want to register. Registration is open on a first come-first serve.
Most of the registrants received an error message “500 Internal Sever Error” of “404 Page Not Found” and have to refresh several times until you fill-in the information including the submission of photo.
Some of the registrants, who failed to register on that night, have to wake-up early the following day just to register successfully. Some successful registrants do not received email confirmation and have to email UFOQ to received confirmation tickets.
By morning of 11 April 2017 the registration is full as per website. Some of the unsuccessful registrants plan to go to the venue hoping to see PPRD.
28th March 2017
Farinas: Duterte can appoint barangay execs
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on March 28, 2017, 8:12 am
By: Jani Arnaiz, Joey Gabieta - @inquirerdotnet
Inquirer Visayas / 04:04 PM March 27, 2017
TACLOBAN CITY — The House of Representatives has not taken up the proposal of President Duterte to postpone the elections and appoint barangay officials.
But Majority Leader Rudy Fariñas said he found nothing wrong with the President appointing new sets of barangay officials because the present term of the incumbents had expired in 2016.
“We have yet to talk about that in Congress because the leadership of Speaker (Pantaleon) Alvarez is by consensus. Kung ano man ang mananaig, yun ang mangyayari (Whatever is decided on by the majority will be adopted),” Fariñas said on Sunday.
Fariñas and some congressmen were in Tacloban City as part of their “Western and Eastern Nautical Highway Expedition,” an inspection tour conducted by the legislators to check on the state of the government’s Roll On-Roll Off (RORO) , the conditions of road network and the transportation system in the provinces.
Speaker Alvarez earlier signified his support for the plan of the President to cancel the barangay elections this October and appoint the barangay officials, to prevent those who have engaged in the drug trade from getting back into power.
“I see nothing wrong with appointing village officials if it’s mandated by law. Their terms have already expired but they are in hold-over capacity,” said Fariñas
He pointed out that since the terms of the barangay officials expired last year when the elections were supposed to be held, they could be replaced by appointment.
“In the Constitution, there’s no fix date in the election of village officials so that we in Congress can change the term of barangay officials whether it’s five or six years,” said the congressman from Ilocos Norte.
Fariñas said President Duterte has gained a wide perspective on illegal drugs trade over the years, compared to the congressmen who have only been confined to the peace and order problems of their districts.
The proposal to cancel the barangay elections and just appoint new sets of officials was opposed by village officials in Tacloban.
“This will deny the people (of their right) to vote directly officials they like to lead them in the barangay. Barangay officials, just like our other officials, should be elected and not appointed,” said Rosario Bactol, barangay chairman of 88.
Lawyer Jose Nick Mendros, Commission on Elections-Eastern Visayas director, said Comelec would continue to do its mandated work should Congress fail to pass a law cancelling the elections this October.
“Our registration (in our Comelec offices) will continue until April 29 while our satellite registration will end this week,” Mendros said.
“We cannot stop our work just because there is a proposal to cancel the barangay elections,” he added.
He said cancelling the elections might not be the answer to the problems of barangay officials’ involvement in the illegal drugs trade.
“Charge them (in court). We have charged a senator. Why not charged those alleged barangay officials,” Mendros, said referring to Senator Leila de Lima who has been detained on charges of illegal drug trade and protection.
He added that appointing barangay officials would be contrary to the country’s democratic principles and might exacerbate patronage politics.
20th February 2017
DPWH to build coastal bypass road in Maasin City
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on February 20, 2017, 3:41 pm
MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte – This city will get an alternative link to the commercial district – a 4.71-kilometer coastal bypass road with reclamation component meant to ease traffic woes and expand the city’s development.
The planned road, which will cost P1.5 billion, will get an initial budget of P50 million this year, said Ma. Margarita C. Junia, chief of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Southern Leyte district engineering office.
The proposed road, one of the key infrastructure projects in Eastern Visayas, will connect the city’s commercial center in Lib-og village to nearby populated village of Mambajao. It will traverse coastal areas of Abgao, Tunga-Tunga, and Combado villages.
The preliminary release, strongly lobbied by Rep. Roger Mercado for inclusion in the 2017 appropriations, will be used for the preparation of feasibility study for multi-year implementation, initial road construction, and some slope protection.
“The main roads leading to the city center are already congested even if those roads are restricted to one lane,” she said, referring in particular to R. Kangleon and Tomas Oppus Streets. “We cannot expand to the other side of the city since it’s mountainous.”
Maasin, a fourth class city and capital of Southern Leyte province, has a land area of 211.70 square kilometers with a population of 85,560. The city’s terrain is characterized by relatively flat lands along the coastal plains where population areas lay, and becomes rugged and mountainous towards the interior.
DPWH Southern Leyte planning section chief Vincent Sy said the proposed budget for the project in 2018 is P200 million. “Releases in the next years will mainly depend on the outcome of feasibility study, which will be completed within the first half of the year,” Sy added. The project is in compliance to Secretary Mark Villar’s directive to decongest traffic through construction of by-pass roads in populated areas. (PR)
9th January 2017
Farmer killed in Southern Leyte buy-bust; police claim shoot-out
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on January 9, 2017, 2:31 pm
By: Jani Arnaiz - Correspondent / @janiarnaizINQ
Inquirer Visayas / 07:03 PM January 06, 2017
MAASIN CITY—A 55-year-old farmer was shot dead on Friday in what the police claimed was a shoot-out following a buy-bust operation in an interior village of Ichon, Macrohon town, in Southern Leyte.
Felimon Labolabo was hit in the right forehead and right arm and died on the spot.
The buy-bust operation stemmed from a two-week surveillance operation on Labolabo who was allegedly a drug peddler.
Senior Insp. J-Rale C. Paalisbo, team leader of the Regional Anti-Illegal Drug Special Operation Group (RAIDSOG), said an undercover agent met with Labolabo near the latter’s farm in Sitio Santolan, Barangay Ichon, past 9 a.m. supposedly to buy “shabu” from the farmer.
The suspect drew his .38-cal. pistol when he sensed that he was dealing with a policeman, but the farmer was shot first.
Recovered from the crime scene were the gun and four sachets of suspected shabu.
It took four hours to retrieve the body since the crime scene was a secluded and hilly area.
Labolabo’s 18-year-old daughter, Tifanny, fainted after seeing her father’s body.
She said they had told her father to stop peddling drugs after he surrendered to the police during Oplan Tokhang, a campaign that required the police to knock on the houses of known drug peddlers and users and ask them to stop their illegal activities.
15th December 2016
5 die in Leyte road mishap
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on December 15, 2016, 4:01 pm
By Elvie Roman Roa
ORMOC CITY, Leyte, Dec. 14, (PNA) – A collision between two passenger vans owned by father and son from Palompon, Leyte left at least five passengers dead along national highway of A. Tumamak village, Villaba town in Leyte, the town police said.
A police report stated, that the van E.R. Jr., a Toyota Hi Ace owned by Ephraim Requitillo, Jr. bound to Palompon town from Ormoc City failed to control the steering wheel due to slippery road and bumped to Gee Rhaim, of opposite route.
The vehicle glided and ran crisscross before it finally head going to the lane of the other vehicle. The head-on collision caused severe damage to both vehicles but the five passengers including the driver of Gee Rhaim, also a Toyota Hi Ace van, sustained only minor injuries.
Three of E.R. Jr.’s seven passengers reportedly died on the spot including the driver Boy Salvador while another casualty was declared dead on arrival at the community hospital. Other injured commuters were rushed to Ormoc City hospital where one was pronounced dead.
Gee Rhaim driver Themestocles Hortelano who had minor injuries said he stopped upon noticing that E.R. Jr. was unstable while approaching.
“I stopped when I saw the van moving unstable after it glided while stirring down near our direction”, the driver said.
The vehicle bound to Palompon was severely damaged that caused deaths and major injuries to its passengers while Gee Rhaim’s right front was also heavily damaged..
The Requitillo family immediately showed up and provided the needs of the victims.
Barangay excluded in granting of PEI
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on December 15, 2016, 3:38 pm
By Jani Arnaiz
MAASIN CITY – The Productivity Enhancement Incentive or PEI given to LGUs and other government institution during Christmas as additional benefits is here for the taking but not for Barangay workers.
The Barangay LGU, the so called front liner in giving government service to the people, is not included in the PEI at least in the city thru the courtesy of City Budget Officer Essie Garvez.
“Hugno ang tanan,” said a village chair when Garvez announced during the Liga ng mga Barangay Christmas party.
According to Garvez, said the barangay captain, Barangay was not specifically mentioned in the Budget circular granting the PEI to LGUs.
"So is the city or the province are not specifically mentioned because the Circular only states all LGU heads. If her logic says that Barangay is not among the beneficiary of the PEI, then only the military or the PNP would benefit from the PEI since they were specifically mentioned."
The Budget Circular No. 2016 – 8, issued on December 12, by Budget Sec. Benjamin Diokno addressed “TO All Heads of Departments, Bureaus, and Agencies of the National Government, Including State Universities and Colleges (SUCs), and Government-Owned or -Controlled Corporations (GOCCs); Heads of Local Government Units (LGUs); and All Others Concerned.”
“Payment of the PEI shall be made not earlier than December 15, 2016,” states the Budget Circular.
But the barangay chairmen who attended their Christmas party on December 15 said “Garvez would have none of it for the Barangay LGUs.”
Christmas this year would be bleak this year just like the other year, said a Barangay Captain.
According to Tagnipa Kagawad Along Lutero, President of the Barangay Kagawad League of Maasin City, there are three composition of LGU, that is the Province, the City or Municipality and the Barangays.
Officially local government in the Philippines, often called local government units or LGUs, are divided into three levels – provinces and independent cities; component cities and municipalities; and barangays.
Provincial Budget Officer Joey Duarte said, barangay officials elected or appointed are entitled to PEI.
The Reporter tried to contact Garvez but to no avail.
Jade Nombrado, a Kagawad in one of the barangays of Macrohon town said they availed of PEI.
WEATHER & NEWS